Tuesday 21 April 2009

Double Whose Money? Not Yours!

As another wave of new managers trot like sheep to be fleeced into the so-called 'Double your money' competitions I feel its my duty as Community Manager of the Year to speak out against them.

Of course its your money and as such if you choose to give it away to richer and higher ranked clubs that is of course up to you- just remember that these competitions are almost invariably set up to make certain that is exactly what you will be doing.

Some clubs have turned these competitions into a production line producing cash on a daily basis and have made upwards of 5 million profit from doing so - becoming even richer and higher ranked as a result at your expense.

This is perfectly legal within the rules as they stand - I personally think they should be banned or at least seriously scrutinised and regulated as they are certainly against the spirit of the game. I know a lot of high profile and high ranked managers feel the same way I do and am sure that some of the 'robber barons' will strenuously object to my comments.

So comment! Lets get this murky secret world out in the open, examine and discuss it! It is indeed more fun to play when something is 'on the line' but there has to be a better and fairer alternative - so over to you guys...

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are various solutions being discussed for DYMs - but how many restrictions do we want, how many hands can we try and hold?

    I like to think that when I organise a competition I can be inventive, I try new things, different formats... I like to think I'm adding something to the gameworld. DYMs don't do that, in my opinion.

    What limitations on unofficial competitions would people be willing to accept?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only "solution" to DYM comps I can think of without completely banning them is to restrict the breath of players that can enter them (something which I think might be a useful option to have anyway) by world ranking (which we all know is a better indication of ability than reputation).

    What I mean by that is if someone creates a DYM, it should only be open to join by people who a ranked, say, within 100 places of him. Should help prevent some of the criminal mis-matches there are currently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the manager of a higher-ranked team, I could probably turn over a hefty profit through double your money competitions but I think they're a very shabby practice.

    If double your money teams have profited to the tune of £5m, dwarving the prize money available through FA competitions, then that's £2.5m that they've purloined from lower-ranked teams. Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nik- apparently in the beta worlds people could gamble on individual games but that was phased out- so there is a precedent. Similarly I choose to smoke but the law has been changed so I cant come into your favourite restraunt and ruin your meal and give you cancer. This is annoying for me but I cant claim its not 'fair'. Similarly DYM profiteers have a significant advantage over those that dont do it and are polluting the gameworld. Banning them might displease the few but they would make the gw a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DYM competitions in theory are fine, however they are often loaded with top heavy teams that fleece the lower ranked teams all of the time.
    DYM competitions would be hard to eradicate since the coding for how the competition prize money is set would need to be completely changed.... I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about DYM competitions. They're quick to play and there are good odds of winning some money - much better odds than knockout competitions with prize money spread out only between teams in the latter stages.

    No-one is forced to enter any competition and there are enough warnings plastered about the GW and elsewhere to make people aware of the pitfalls. Managers should be able to use their own judgement on whether they want to enter a competition or not. I have won and lost money in several of these competitions but have never entered into one blind.

    To make out these competitions and their organisers are the devil incarnate is taking it a bit far if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete


Hit Counter